It is never easy to choose a piece of jewellery and it’s also not that easy to buy one. As much as we wanted to always get the finest quality gold jewellery, our budget may not agree with us all the time. Buying gold plated jewellery is a great option when you’re looking for an accessory or a gift that doesn’t break your bank and this goes for any type of jewellery, may it be a ring, bracelet or your name necklace. Gold plating is a process where a thin layer of gold is placed to coat the surface of another metal.
Nowadays, having gold plated jewellery is not only for those who can’t afford full gold jewellery. They are very popular with fashionistas out there because of its practicality and because it’s available in various designs and styles that goes perfectly well with any piece of clothing. To decrease the chances of wearing out, here are easy ways on keeping the luster of your gold plated jewellery. As it is a thin layer of gold, extra care should be taken to maximize its lifespan.
- Do not spray on perfume or other sprays while wearing your gold plated jewellery. Wear your jewellery after you have sprayed on your favourite perfume so that chemicals on the spray or perfume does not interact with your jewellery’s metal.
- Wait until your lotion or cream is dry or has been absorbed by your skin before you wear your gold plated ring, bracelet or necklace.
- Substances like oil, nail polish, nail polish remover, chlorine, perfume and the like may react with metal/plated jewellery and will cause it to tarnish easily. This also goes with sweat, so make sure you don’t forget to remove your gold plated jewellery when you exercise or anything that would require heavy physical work, and also when swimming.
- Every after use, clean your plated jewellery with a cotton ball or a very soft cloth to remove any dust and dirt it has acquired. Gently rubbing the surface of your gold plated jewellery using a soft jewellery cloth also helps restore shine.
- If your jewellery needs more cleaning you may clean it with warm, soapy water. Soak it for a few minutes and you may clean it with a soft brush. Stay away from jewellery cleaners and antibacterial soaps which may have certain components that will just make your gold plated jewellery tarnish more quickly.
- To avoid scratches, wrap your jewellery in a soft cloth after cleaning or keep it in a jewellery box separate from other types of jewellery you have.